05 April 2012

30 Days of Biking, days 1-4

The first four days of my #30daysofbiking have been a success in that I've managed to ride every day! I can already see that this challenge is encouraging me to ride on days that I otherwise would not, which is great--and exactly the point. 

On Day 1, Sunday, I got my bike ride in early. Very early. We were at a friend's house for dinner and cycled home at about 12:30 in the morning. I was glad for this because on Sunday I was pretty busy with other commitments. 

On Day 2, Monday, I had an important meeting at work and normally would have taken the bus because I don't like to cycle in my nice clothes. But this day, I packed my nice clothes into my backpack and joined the lycra warriors on my commute! With my crappy commuting bike I don't think anyone mistook me for a true machaca though.

Work clothes packed in my backpack.
On Day 3, Tuesday, I had to go to Birmingham for the day for work. The combination of having to get to the train station instead of my office, needing to wear nicer clothes again, and not knowing what I would do with my helmet in Birmingham all day led me to decide to take the bus to the train station. When I got back home in the evening, it was pouring rain -- but I went out for a ride anyway. I did some loops in my neighborhood to get me past the 7.5km mark, which is the distance of my round-trip commute to work. 

A little bit wet!
On Day 4, Wednesday, I cycled to work. This was the kind of day that I would have normally cycled to work anyway, even without the challenge. On the way home, I raced the impending raindrops and managed to only get some light drizzle, so I consider it a success.

Days 5-9 won't be a problem -- we're heading to Dover tonight and taking the ferry to Dunkirk first thing in the morning for a long weekend of cycle touring in France and Belgium! 

No comments:

Post a Comment