14 September 2012

First impressions of the Western Scottish Isles

I have just got back from my solo trip to Scotland. In 10 days and ~850 km I had all kinds of weather: rain, sun, horizontal rain and strong winds all in one day. Yet I managed on shorts and short finger gloves. Only two days of really bad weather, the rest were a pleasant mixture of all the above. The midges were still out playing, and got a bit annoying on a couple of occasions, when I got bitten a few dozen times.

But cycle touring up there is good, very good. The scenery is just unbelievable. The roads must be the best ones in the whole of the UK, with very little traffic. We have plans to return next year in May, visiting the Outer Hebrides and a bit more of the Highlands. The Cairngorms are also on the list. And a bit of kayak-ing thrown in as well. If you are planning a trip up there, do go now! It's a well travelled route with cycle tourers - I met at least a couple every day!

The full write-up will take me a while, but for now I will just show a few of the pictures...

Kildonan campsite, Arran 

Arran landscape

Beaches south of Fionnphort, Isle of Mull. A few hours earlier I had 50 mph winds and horizontal rain. Now it's sunny.

Isle of Mull 

Deserted hilly roads, Isle of Mull

Loch Na Keal, impressive site. Isle of Mull

Isle of Mull

Calgary Bay, Isle of Mull

Calgary beach at dusk, may as well be the Caribbean?

Tobermory, Isle of Mull

Scenic ferry crossing over to Ardnamurchan

Enough said!

Plockton, possibly the cutest village of the whole trip

Climbing Bealach Na Ba, the highest pass in the UK at 630 m

No comments:

Post a Comment