1. Ride 200km in under 10 hours: I may do a 300 this year, but in general I'll be concentrating on 200s and trying to get my speed up. I regard this as necessary before I start to attempt longer audaxes again. I actually have ridden 200km in 9h55, but this was as part of our 400km audax, and I was so shattered from the effort that the next 200 took us 15 hours. In 2013, I want the 10-hour 200 to become my new normal.
|Trans Pennine Trail, May 2012|
2. Learn to love the trails: Last year I wanted to get more confident on the mountain bike. It's true I have improved, but not to the level I'd like. I remain pretty timid when it comes to trails, which probably wasn't helped by the amount of times I came off the bike during the Camino. This really needs to change in 2013!
3. Ride more without Alberto: It's not what it sounds like! Alberto got me into cycling and a ride with him is still one of my favourite ways to spend my time. But we are at different levels and he needs to ride with a faster group sometimes in order to acheive his own goals. When that happens, I want to make sure I still get a ride in. At the moment that generally means I head to Regent's Park for some laps, but in 2013 I want to figure out a way to do more than that.
4. Conquer Iceland: We're hoping to tour for a few weeks in Iceland this summer. It's known for its stunning scenery, but also for its unpredictable and often inhospitable weather. I know it will be a real challenge, and a real adventure. I'm hoping to come out the other side feeling more confident and anything the world can throw at us while we're on a bike.
|Peak District March 2012|
5. Spend more nights in the tent: We managed a few cyclo-camping trips and tours last year -- in the Peak District, France and Belgium, and Dartmoor. But we've invested in a fancy new tent (more on that in a future post) so now we need to get out and use it! And this year I'm hoping at least one of our camping trips will actually be in nice weather!