15 May 2012

30 Days of Biking Wrap Up

It's been too long and I have neglected to write up the final days of my #30daysofbiking challenge. Better late than never! The last ten days started off with our 300km audax on Day 21, which unfortunately resulted in a pretty sore knee. So on Days 22, 23, 24, and 25 I was basically cycling just a few hundred meters each day to check out my knee's progress. It was probably for the best, as I was away for work a couple days, resulting in silly things like having to head out at 6am with waterproofs over my work clothes for a lap of our street before heading to Edinburgh (that was Day 24).

My knee felt better enough that I could resume my normal commute to work for Days 26 and 27. The weather has not relented -- it has been windy and rainy for the entire month of April. That didn't stop us from heading out on Day 28 for The Big Ride that we have already posted about. We had a good time standing up for cyclist safety but it felt good to get home and out of the rain. On Day 29, with the weather at a particular low point, I just went for a local ride around the neighborhood.

On the Big Ride
I was a bit dissapointed that on Day 30 I couldn't cycle to work as I had to attend a meeting at another office in London. It turned out to be a beautiful day and Alberto and I went out to dinner after work. Since he had his bike with him, I decided to get a Boris Bike (as London's cycle hire scheme is affectionately known). I turned out to be a great way to end the month!

Because I'm the kind of person who keeps spreadsheets, I can tell you that I cycled 902km in the month of April. 784 of those were on my road bike, but this only accounts for 8 days of cycling (riding a 300 will do that!). The remaining 117km were mostly spent on my commuter, although 4 of the days were on the Sevici and Boris Bikes.

I'm really pleased with the results of my #30daysofbiking. I have definitely gotten into the habit of cycling to work more. Although I don't think I'll be cycling every day for the next 30 days, I'll definitely be cycling much more than I otherwise would have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment